In Swiss media today: Red Cross museum’s tobacco dilemma, ski lift safety

Heavy snow in Ticino delays trains

GENEVA, SWITZERLAND – The death of a girl in Italy Friday after a 12-metre fall from a ski-lift and an accident involving two small children in France: the safety of ski-lifts is the subject of a report by TSR public television. The video shows some of the improvements made to new lifts, and the head of the Verbier lift operations who points to the new video cameras used to film all departures – installed after a skier’s explanation following an accident did not correspond at all to the lift operator’s description. But, notes RTS, all the rules in the world won’t make up for poor behaviour on the part of skiers who do as they like.

Japan Tobacco doesn’t want its Red Cross money back

The Tribune de Geneve continues to follow its story of money donated to the revamped Red Cross Museum. Once the museum realized it had not been “vigilant” enough in its fundraising efforts, according to its director, Roger Mayou who says a donation from Japan Tobacco International (JTI) was not in step with its own guidelines (and who accepted the mistake was the museum’s, not JTI’s) the museeum decided to return the CHF150,000 donation, part of an appeal to raise CHF2 million. But JTI, reports, the Tribune, won’t take back the money, “given in good faith”.

Up to 50cm snow near Mendrisiotto cuts Chiasso train power

Le Nouvelliste in Valais: Southern Ticino has had heavy snowfalls since last Thursday, but Sunday to Monday the canton had 20-30cm in the south, with up to 50cm in some locations. Power for the train lines was down in Chiasso and was only fully re-established mid-morning Monday. The power cut affected train traffic between Zurich and Milan, with long delays, as well as regional traffic between Zurich and Ticino.

Fire leaves elderly woman in critical condition in Geneva

20 Minutes: a fire at 09:00 Monday morning in Champel, Avenue Alfred-Bertrand, has sent left an elderly woman with reduced mobility in critical condition and sent three others to hospital with another dozen treated for smoke inhalation. Fire fighters arrived within five minutes of the alert that was sounded, but flames were already shooting out two sides of the apartment block.