- Close all windows and doors
- Don’t advertise your absence inadvertently by leaving notes on the door, letting your letterbox spill over with mail, or leaving a message to that effect on your answering machine
- Don’t use those too-common places to hide keys, such as under the doormat, under flowerpot – they’re well known to burglars
- Be very careful about giving your keys to anyone: carefully assess whether or not you can have confidence in them or you should be wary of them.
- Talk to your neighbours about home safety – discuss how and when you can help each other.
Checklist: When you leave home for a few days
September 25, 2013 by