GENEVA, SWITZERLAND – If this is your first summer in Geneva, cheer up, the city in summer is nothing like the rest of the year, there are loads of things happening.
First in my list of free fun events this summer is CinéTransat or free outdoor films by the lake. A chance to watch a movie under the stars while enjoying one of the city’s best outdoor scenery – Lake Geneva.
This city-sponsored fest hits the Perle du Lac park for its fourth year, offering a six week run of mostly popular and classic flicks like Flashdance or the cult 1942 romantic film Casablanca. Get there early with your crew to nab a prime picnicking spot (kids are welcome).
One of CineTransat attractions are the thematic eves such as (see if you can match the theme to the right movie): the 60′s, Drag Queen eve, night surfing, princes and princesses, sci-fi and more.
In case of rain, CinéTransat is canceled. Here’s the 2012 film list:
- 7 July – Flashdance
- 13 July – Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
- 14 July – The Boat that Rocked
- 15 July – Asterix et Obelix: Mission Cleopatre
- 19 July – Viva Cuba
- 20 July – Le Nom des Gens
- 21 July – The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert
- 22 July – The Notebook
- 26 July – Swiss Short Films eve
- 27 July – Summer Wars
- 28 July – Point Break
- 29 July – Casablanca
- 02 August – The Shawshank Redemption
- 03 August – Slumdog Millionaire
- 04 August – Blade Runner
- 05 August – The Great Blue
- 09 August – Les Petits Mouchoirs
- 10 August – The Princess Bride
- 11 August – Machine à Clips
- 12 August – Soirée du Rattrapage
- 16 August – Dulha Mil Gaya
- 17 August – The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
- 18 August – Jurassic Park
- 19 August – Forrest Gump
CinéTransat is also a cool venture as it employs 30 or so Geneva at-risk youth.
My name is Iñigo Montoya. You’ve killed my father… prepare to die! (Kuddos to you if you know this one)