Sports events, Matt Leighton’s picks:
- D35 Catamaran races, Julius Baer Challenge, Saturday 11 August starting at 13:00, Joran near Nyon, Sunday 12 August starting at 10:30, Tour Carré near Geneva. Free.
- Swiss Open Tennis, 11-12 August, Vernier, Geneva. One of the world’s top tournaments for wheelchair tennis. Free
- Geneva Servette Ice hockey team, Geneva, Saturday 11 August, 18:00, first warm-up game of the season at Les Vernets, Geneva.
Fairs, festivals, fun:
- Fetes de Geneve fireworks, Saturday 11 August, 22:00, near the Mont Blanc bridge, Geneva. Tickets for seats in the Jardin Anglais or on the Mont Blanc bridge (closed to traffic after 18:00), SFr35-55. Not to be missed, but fingers crossed for dry weather for this big extravaganza show that can be seen from much of the city, signalling the end of the festival, which closes Sunday.
- FAR (Festival des arts vivants), Nyon, 8-18 August, mostly theatre, an international mix with some workshops and music on the programme for its fourth year. Tickets SFr12-25.
- Glocals.com giant beach party in Geneva, Saturday 18 August. The party celebrates the name change (from GenevaOnline) and a move to a new web site Monday 13 August. Details to follow later.
- St Prex festival, two weekends,Friday and Saturday evenings, 24-25 August and Saturday, Sunday 1-2 September. Varied programme of mainly classical and international music, dance, magical lighting in the old town of St Prex. Second year and the first open to a large public. Prices vary for events: SFR25-140.
- Vinea wine festival, Sierre, Valais, 1-2 September, SFr30 for a one-day pass and glass that lets you sample more than 1,500 wines from more than 150 Valais producers. Web site in English for the first time.
- Paddle for Cancer Dragonboat Festival, Lac de Joux, Le Sentier, Saturday 9 September, 10:00-16:30. Organized as an awareness-raising event by the English Speaking Cancer Association in Geneva and sponsored by several Lake Geneva region businesses.
Conferences, business events (we list only events open to non-members as well as members):
- Networking happy hour, Thursdays 23 August and 20 September, GWIT (Geneva Women in International Trade), check web site for details.
- “All politics is local,” presentation by Swiss-Canadian Elizabeth Boehler-Goodship, mayor of Grand-Saconnex, Wednesday 29 August, 11:45, Geneva Mandarin Oriental Hotel, British-Swiss Chamber of Commerce luncheon. SFr75-90
- Sustainable growth through dynamic science,” presentation by Dupont de Nemours President Ian Hudson, joint Swiss American Chamber of Commerce and American International Club of Geneva, Tuesday 11 September, 11:45-14:00, Hotel Mandarin Oriental, Geneva. Entry fee.
- “Europe’s future: cause for gloom or grounds for hope,” presentation by Lord Watson of Richmond CBE, British Swiss Chamber of Commerce luncheon, Thursday 13 September, 11:45, Hotel Mandarin Oriental, Geneva. SFr75-90
- Negotiations skills workshop, GWIT, Tuesday 25 September, 18:10-20:30, Hotel d’Angleterrie, Geneva. SFr35-50.
- Sushil K. Premchand, Executives International Forum Dinner presentation, Tuesday 25 September, 18:45. Premchand is non-executive chairman of the 151 year-old Premchand Group, Mumbai, India, whose founder started the Bombay Stock Exchange. SFr80-95.